Vietnam News

Vietnamese boy trapped in 35-metre concrete pillar dies

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Ten-year-old who fell into a narrow open shaft on New Year’s Eve at construction site confirmed dead.

A 10-year-old Vietnamese boy who fell into the narrow open shaft of a concrete pillar at a construction site on New Year’s Eve has been confirmed dead, state media said on Wednesday.

Rescuers spent nearly 100 hours trying to free Ly Hao Nam from the 35-metre-long support pillar driven into the ground, but without success, online newspaper VnExpress cited a local government official as saying.

“The authorities have determined that the victim has died and are trying to recover his body for the funeral,” the deputy chair of the southern province of Dong Thap, Doan Tan Buu, was quoted as saying.

The boy was heard crying for help shortly after he fell into the hollow concrete pile, which has a diameter of 25cm, on Saturday at a bridge construction site in the Mekong delta province where he had been searching with friends for scrap iron.

Earlier on Wednesday, the Vietnamese prime minister, Pham Minh Chinh, had urged the rescuers and local authorities to mobilise all equipment and forces needed, the government said.

Reuters – January 4, 2023

Vietnamese boy trapped in 35-metre concrete pillar dies
Translate / Dịch

En poursuivant la visite de ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de traceurs (cookies) vous permettant juste d'optimiser techniquement votre navigation. Plus d’informations

En poursuivant la visite de ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de traceurs (cookies) vous permettant d'optimiser techniquement votre navigation. Aucune information sur votre utilisation de ce site ne sera partagée auprès de quelconques médias sociaux, de sociétés commerciales ou d'agences de publicité et d'analyse. Cliquer sur le bouton "Accepter", équivaut à votre consentement.

Fermer